QUEBEC AND THE FRENCH-SPEAKING WORLD
In a province undergoing a spiritual revival, SEMBEQ was born in Quebec in the 1970’s from the burning need to train leaders to care for its numerous new churches. In order to avoid uprooting these leaders from their locations to study elsewhere, we opted to train them within their own communities. We believe, and have seen, that the Church is the best context within which to train Christians according to their gifts. This has become the seminary’s purpose.
Since then, SEMBEQ has served the French-speaking churches from AEBEQ (the Association of Evangelical Baptist Churches in Quebec)within a province having its own unique needs.
- Quebec is the only province in Canada that has French as exclusive official language.
- They are described as “a nation within a nation”
- 80% of the world’s maple syrup comes from Canada, but 75% comes from Quebec alone!
- French fries, with cheese curds and gravy is called Poutine and is practically an official fast-food delicacy
- Many comedy artists come from Quebec and their Just for Laughs festival is internationally renowned
SADLY, IN QUEBEC
- We find one of the highest suicide rates in Canada
- Abortion is socially approved and tax-funded
- The traditional family unit is virtually nonexistent
- Divorce rates are diminishing only because practically nobody gets married anymore (even so, the divorce rates are still high!)
These are indeed worldwide problems, but the Quebecois also have no safe place to reach out:
- Less than 1% of the population declares Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour
- They are the largest unreached people group in all of the Americas
- There is only 1 church for every 106,000 people
- In Montreal alone, to reach a ratio of 1 church for every 30,000 people, there would still need to be 50 new church plants
This is the context in which God has laid on our hearts to serve and it is a privilege to equip the church to love its neighbours and make disciples here.
Would you consider praying for Quebec? Would you consider supporting local churches and ministries that shine with the Gospel in communities that desperately need it? Would you consider serving with us on the mission field?